Sunday, March 23, 2008

Private panic attacks

I drove home yesterday. So between visiting with family and trying to catch up on mail that had accumulated, I didn’t have much time to think up something great to blog about. So I will tell you a story that happened a couple of days ago. I know you have been waiting with bated breath to see just what a goofball I can be.

I went to the local grocery store to pick up something for dinner. Banner Elk is a small place and is especially deserted in the winter and spring. So I was quite alone while browsing for pizza in the frozen food section. I was really engrossed in choosing just the right one – there are really a lot of frozen pizzas for sale out there. As Vol Fan and I have extremely different tastes in what makes a perfect pizza, the decision making was tough.

I finally selected one for me and a different one for him. I reached into the freezer section and pulled out my choices. As I turned to go the register, I caught a glimpse of something out of the corner of my eye. It was someone looking at me and they were really close – like maybe 18” away. Since I hadn’t heard them approach, I immediately assumed they were up to no good.

I let out a little scream and whirled toward my would-be attacker. That’s when I got a good look at this attacker – it was a life-size cardboard man advertising potato chips! So I did a quick look around to see if anyone had heard or seen my little panic attack. Thankfully, I was still alone in the aisle! It was then that the comedy of the situation hit me and I started laughing. I hope I wasn’t being watched on a hidden camera – if so, I am sure the security people thought I was certifiably crazy!

See, I told you I was a goofball! Oh, and Happy Easter! I hope the Easter bunny visited you. According to Pita (my three-year-old niece) - in order for the Easter bunny to visit, you have to be good and go to sleep. It's "kind of like Santa, you know"!

No comments: