Thursday, December 18, 2008

Big bunch of nothing

My doorbell rang at 6:30 this morning. Of course, I was still asleep and my sleep-numbed brain knew that Vol Fan was up already and would answer the door. So I incorporated the doorbell into my dream. Of course, I can't recall the details of the dream.

But the incorporation had a very unpleasant side effect. I woke up singing 'Let Em In' by Paul McCartney. And now I can't get it out of my head! Any suggestions of a song that will dislodge it?

On Monday, Vol Fan decided that this would be a great time to replace the flooring in our kitchen. Now, I am all for a new floor but this photo shows what we have been dealing with.
Yes, that is a hole in my floor. Once the old floor was removed we discovered that our house was about to fall in! There was damage to the subfloor and the floor joists from a water leak that had occurred years and years and years ago!

So Vol Fan tore a huge hole in the floor (it ended up being about 6' x 6'!) and replaced a couple of the joists and put some more support under the main beam of the house. Wow, what a job!

If all goes as planned, the new flooring will be in today. Thanks, Vol Fan, for all of your hard work!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I swear, the simplest remodeling projects are like pulling a loose thread on a sweater. Before you know it, you've gotta reknit the whole sleeve.

Family Room said...

well, you should definately replace your song with Harry Chapin's "Cat's in The Cradle". Thing #1 and baby blonde#2 have been doing sing alongs with each other all week to only this song (they are 8 and 10????) or you could rock out to that stupid song Don't worry be happy......yeah, see ya later McCartney!

Busy Bee Suz said...

If my doorbell rings at 6:30 am, someone better be dead. :)
The week before Christmas is always the best time to have no kitchen to walk into. I am sure it will be gorgeous when done though. I guess we just should be thankful that anything gets done and not complain about WHEN it gets done????

Unknown said...

Boy, that's some job Vol Fan has ahead of him today. Thank goodness you discovered the damage underneath. You could have easily fallen through a black hole right in the middle of Christmas dinner, and that wouldn't have been funny. Well, it would be funny for me to read about, but not for you.

I hate when I incorporate reality into my dreams. Like when you dream about having to go to the bathroom, when you really should have gotten up and gone to the bathroom. I heard that happens to people sometimes.

Anonymous said...

There is nothing more gratifying than watching a man hard at work with power tools:)

Can't wait to see your new floor!

Why don't you try humming, "Y-M-C-A"? That will eliminate that awful Paul McCartney song, and will give you some incentive to do an extra 20 minutes of cardio!!!

Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

U go Vol Fan! We just finished putting ceramic tile down in our kitchen. You're gonna love the floor when it's done.

Now about that song..."how's about cookin' somethin' up with me?" =)

Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

And BTW...who was at the door? I'm really not nosey or anything like that =).

I Am Woody said...

It was my nieghbor spreading a little holiday cheer. I'm not very cheery at 6:30am! But he did bring food, which is always good - especially when you have a hole in the kitchen and can't cook!

Cool Breeze said...

I think it is awesome that he can do that stuff himself.

Try the Barney song "I Love you. You Love me, ...."

You may hate me for that one.