Monday, April 20, 2009

Sunday in Athens

I love college towns. They always feel so alive. Something is always going on - a film screening and discussion, a play, a band playing, a book reading, etc.

And that's why I have enjoyed the past couple of days in Athens, Georgia. What a great town!

Let me tell you about my Sunday.

It started at Jot 'Em Down BBQ for lunch. I am all about a vinegar-based sauce and guess what? So were they!! Taylor's X-Hot was delicious!! And a band was playing - The Barefoot Hookers. Vol Fan kept calling them the Naked Whores.

They might not be getting a record deal anytime soon but they were a lot of fun. With songs like Beer Drinking Gospel Revival and my favorite, Whited Trashed And Red Nekkid.

From there, we headed downtown. Downtown is located right beside The University of Georgia campus so it is an area jam packed with bars, restaurants, small shops, etc. In my life-long quest for the best pizza in the world, we stopped at Amici for dinner. Their margharita pizza was very good!! We were entertained by the round of "Full Contact Trivia" that was being played.

So if you have a chance, stop by this great college town! I'm headed out again to do some more exploring.

15 comments:

Desert Survivor said...

I love college towns too! Sounds like the band you ran across was one-of-a-kind!

Unknown said...

I love live music at restaurants during the day. It's usually such a layed back experience.

I'm so jealous.

Mental P Mama said...

I want some BBQ!

(Sometimes!) Serendipitous Girl said...

Lady, YOU GET AROUND! I LOVE it! And am super jealous. Is there room in the golf course building field for SSG and Fisher? We're both pretty lazy, but kind of cute occasionally. Maybe we can supervise. Or just run around and keep you company on your fun adventures.

Busy Bee Suz said...

Sounds like tasty fun. I have not been to Athens since I was a wee little tot.

Big Hair Envy said...

This post just made me feel young again....!!!!!!!!!! Wherever Snow White attends college, I am TOTALLY checking out the bars, um, restaurants...just sayin'!

Lori said...

This sounds like fun and your making me hungry. You sure do have lots of fun on your adventures. That band, sounds like great fun!

Snooty Primadona said...

I'm with you! It's one of the reasons I love Austin so much, although I'd probably be just as happy in any college town. They always just seem to have a certain *air* about them, don't they? Like *Let's Party*...

imom said...

Sounds like a blast!

Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

College towns are so fun! And it sounds like you are having a blast!

Unknown said...

I love college towns too! All that youth and vitality! LOVE it like crazy. I have always wanted to visit Georgia. I like peaches.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hey Woody, You also need to visit another college town, ATHENS, Tennessee. That's where I went to college --Tennessee Wesleyan College (a small Methodist College). It's not quite as large as Athens, GA (Ha)---but it's a nice little city!!!!

Sorry to hear about Rooster.. Glad the cancer hasn't spread. Praise God!

We are glad to be home.. It was a wonderful trip --just getting to see my son and family. BUT--the weather was horrible. Oh Well!!!!

I'm going to check through some of your older blog posts.
Hugs,
Betsy

JD at I Do Things said...

I love college towns, too. My husband and I used to visit my old campus (Indiana University in Bloomington) in the fall. So much going on . . . tho I did tend to feel rather old.

Unknown said...

Athens is one of my favorite towns ever! There is just something so REM about it.

Ty Manning said...

WOODY, YOU ROCK! i googled my band and saw "beer drinking gospel revival" & "white trashed & red nekkid" & i was like who the f.... is this Incredible woody? ive played up @ jot'em down a couple of times, but never with my whole band. you should come see us. our next gig is oct 16th @ tastyworld in athens. blog on brother man! you can keep up with us at: www.thebearfoothookers.com