Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Leavin' Las Vegas

After Vol Fan's devastating loss at the poker table, we thought we had better get the heck out of town. Our plan was to spend the day meandering on our way to the Grand Canyon.

And that is exactly what we did.

First stop, Lake Mead National Recreation Area. Lake Mead is such a beautiful lake but the effects of the prolonged drought in the area are very apparent. I would have loved to rent a boat for the day but it was not to be on this trip. So a quick trip to the visitor center to get my National Park Passport cancellation and we were off again.
Next up, Hoover Dam. A new bridge is under construction. As soon as it is completed, you will no longer be able to drive across the dam. So this was a must for me - driving across was just one of those weird things that I have always wanted to do.The white line that you can see is the normal level of the lake. It is down 120 feet. And when you consider the area of Lake Mead, that is a LOT of water!!We made it to Kingman, Arizona by noon. We cruised around town, admiring the steam engine in Locomotive Park. We spotted Mr. D's Drive-In on Route 66 and stopped to have a bite. We both ordered burgers and fries - it was delicious. The burgers were huge - neither of us could finish.

Then we headed east on I-40. There is a lot of empty space between Kingman and Seligman - we couldn't even pick up a radio station. It was a scenic drive. I love the desert. Vol Fan took a nap, recovering from his night of poker playing.

Our slow journey had one perfect effect. We arrived at about 5pm. This was the first thing we saw.The setting sun causing shadows to be cast, adding depth and dimension. And those exposed red rocks were on fire. I cannot begin to describe the beauty of the canyon. My photos don't do it justice either. Beauty without photoshop - all are straight from the camera.It took everything I had to edge closer and closer to the mouth of the abyss just so I could get this shot.Apparently Vol Fan doesn't have the same fear of edges that I do.
And then a perfect sunset to close the day.And then we realized "Oh crap, everything closes at 9 around here and we haven't eaten!!!" So we went really, really fast to Yavapai Lodge (our home for the next several days) and made a beeline to the cafeteria. After eating, we found our room and fell into the bed, exhausted.

10 comments:

T said...

You nailed those pictures! They are just beautiful..

Ok - give Vol a slap for me...that pic of him made me have a hiney clinch!

I so want to take my girls there and your pictures just make me want it more!

Unknown said...

I'm glad you had a chance to drive across the dam. I didn't know it was closing, and now I feel guilty about all the times I had to cross it. So I guess no more tours?

You take gorgeous pictures of the Grand Canyon.

Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

Awesome pics chickie~green with envy here!

imom said...

I HAVE to go to the Grand Canyon! Those pictures are spectacular and you are saying they don't do it justice?!! Wow! Just wow.

Busy Bee Suz said...

Beautiful pictures...I want to go NOW!!!
I loved seeing the hoover dam. I did not realize they were building a new bridge....it has been eons since I went there.
Suz

Mental P Mama said...

Beautiful! Does Vol Fan always wear orange? ;)

Family Room said...

The pictures at sundown are priceless!! Love them! We were there around noon and couldn't spend more than a few hours.....but your pictures make me want to stop by again!!! ;)

jay said...

Wow, you take really great photographs! Just gorgeous. I know you had some help from nature there, but even so, it takes skill to capture it!

Snooty Primadona said...

Totally stunning pictures! I swear it's on my Bucket List...

And yes, it definitely made me dizzy & made my hiney twitch to see the picture of Vol Fan above the canyon. Yikes!

What a great trip you guys had!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Wow Woody, Those Grand Canyon pictures are amazing. You got there at a perfect time. What beauty!!! I MUST go there sometime.

I didn't know they were building a bridge at Hoover Dam and that we wouldn't be able to cross is then.. Another resson we need to go there NOW.

Thanks so much for sharing your vacation with us.
Hugs,
Betsy