Friday, August 13, 2010

I Hope You Like Airshows

This past weekend was the Naval Base Ventura County Air Show featuring the USAF Thunderbirds.  It was a 2 day event.  Saturday began with a heavy marine layer in place so I was sad, thinking things would be cancelled.  But Vol Fan and I took our chances and went anyway.  Good thing we did!  The sun prevailed and it turned into a beautiful day. 

On Sunday, I returned.  Early this time.  Early enough to park myself along the fence for a front row seat!  Another glorious day!

So I hope you like airshows because I have LOTS of photos.  Like 1500+!!!  Ready?  This is going to take some time:)

To get things started with a bang, I present the Navy F/A-18C Hornet!
You know you have a Navy plane when the landing gear is down.  Spot the tail hook for carrier landings?
Right at touch down!
I love when condensation on the wings occur. Since we are right on the ocean, the humidity is very high which made for a condensation-crazy day! Couple that with clear blue skies and you have yourself a beautiful shot!
I'm no engineer so I can't explain how or why this is but as the plane approaches super-sonic speed (aka the speed of sound!), a shock cone forms around the plane.  All I can say is WOW!
When these planes are screaming toward you at near super-sonic speed, it is hard to keep them in your viewfinder.  So I try to follow them thru their move, clicking the shutter constantly.  And sometimes when you go back thru to see what you have, you find that the photography gods smiled on you and gave you an awesome shot!

7 comments:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Wow Girlie, You got some incredible pictures.... I love Air Shows... We used to go every year when I lived in Texas. That Hornet is one amazing airplane....

Bet you don't miss the heat and humidity in TENNESSEE right now...

Hugs,
Betsy

Lori said...

How fun to watch all of that! Great photo's of it. I worked at an airshow once and just what I saw was pretty amazing. :) Happy weekend to you and yours. XX

Mental P Mama said...

Love airshows. I would love to be a Blue Angel groupie...and that last shot is a moneymaker!

Ed & Jeanne said...

Sometimes planes crash at airshow so I like to watch from a distance...

Snooty Primadona said...

I'm with you. Wow. Just Wow! That shock cone thing blows my mind.

We have an enormous Confederate Air Force Base & Museum here and they put on several shows per year which are always awesome. I love the shows too!

Busy Bee Suz said...

You got some amazing shots!!!!

My Dad worked for Pratt and Whitney for years, so I went to a lot of air shows as a kid. I still have dreams about them, but usually everything ends in fire. :0

Desert Survivor said...

That is so cool!