Sunday, January 9, 2011

The Joker

My father is a joker.  He always has a joke at the ready, for any and all occasions.  Many times the ones that are on the receiving end of his humor are the waitress.  Or the cashier at the grocery.

But many times it is the random stranger.  And this was the case yesterday.

My sister was visiting for the weekend so she accompanied Dad to the grocery store to pick up a few things.  Snow is in the forecast so the store was packed!

While they were standing in front of the dairy case selecting cheese, a lady walked up next to them and tried to reach an item on the top shelf.  Several of the cartons were gone so the only ones left were at the back of the shelf and she could not reach it.  So she asked Dad if he could reach it.

Not missing a lick, he reached in, touched the product on the shelf, and said, "Why yes!  I can reach it!".

So to you poor unsuspecting shopper at Kroger, I am sorry. 

He was still laughing about it late last night.

And yes, he did get the item off of the shelf for her :)

8 comments:

T said...

love it!

Unknown said...

He is such a blessing...really. My Dad was the same way. That sideways humor would get people all the time.

His biggest thing was when he was meeting someone for the first time, he would give them either a strong handshake or a big ol' bear hug, then he wouldn't let go...he'd lock it. Then as the person was trying to escape the hug or shake, he would tell them. "You can let go now, no...seriously you can let go now..." It was halarious and always brought a smile to people's faces.

We also have a incident in a grocery store involving paper towel rolls being "passed" football style from one aisle to the next...he was trying to make it in the basket...until he hit the top shelf of the pickle area and it crashed to the ground...he stopped playing quarterback with the paper towels afer that.

Lori said...

I love good sense of humors like this! Your dad sounds like a dear man and I am sure he brings a smile and laughter to many of the people who crosses paths with them. I know I sure love running into strangers like this. :)

Nelson's Mama said...

Wasn't me ;-)

Busy Bee Suz said...

Oh my...I think we came from the same family tree!!!!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

I think you have your Dad's sense of humor.... LOVE it... There's nothing better than being around a big teaser...
Hugs,
Betsy

Tammy said...

Sounds like my grandpa, he was always ready for a joke like that!

Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

I love this too!
<><