Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Paper Lover

I might have mentioned that AB loves paper.  She loves it so much that I always have a basket of junk mail on hand for her.  She loves to sort and stack and take things out of envelopes and put things in envelopes and staple and tape and cut.....Anything and everything to do with paper.

I have been in filing mode at work for the last few days.

[Sidebar:  I hate, hate, hate filing but I always make sure my files are in order before we leave for a job on the road. If I need a certain paper sent to me, I like to be able to tell my Girl Friday (AKA my good friend Blazer - and seriously, thank you, Blazer, for all you do for me!!) exactly where that paper is, rather than saying "Oh it is somewhere in that 4' tall pile of paperwork.  Just look for it."]

So since we are getting ready to go to the next job site, I am filing.  Part of my filing methodology is sorting.  So instead of one 4' tall stack of paper, I have about 15 smaller stacks of paper - currently scattered across my office floor.

Yesterday after school, AB walked into my office.  As she spied all that glorious paper, her eyes got as big as saucers.  She said in a reverent whisper, "Is all this paper yours, Aunt Woody?  Do you get to keep it all?"  I could see the wheels turning - dreams of endless paper to sort and stack....

I hated to crush that dream and I happened to spot a stack of papers that was about to go in the recycle bin.  Papers with preprinted forms.  And matching envelopes.

As I handed the stack to her, I told her that these papers were very important papers - official government forms. 

She worked for the next hour, filling in the forms, tearing along the perforations, stuffing the envelopes.....She was ever so serious with her work, barely even looking up.

Yes, we are very thankful for leftover W-2 forms :)

4 comments:

Stevie said...

Does she cut? My paper lover is in charge of coupons. Oh, the joyous hours he has cutting coupons from all the inserts that his Grandpa brings for him. One year for Christmas he even got a pair of battery operated scissors and was beside himself. Oh,what fun---raising a future government worker! Which is actually more encouraging than the one who loves cash registers and can't wait to grow up and work at a gas station so he can ring things up :)
Stevie@ruffedfeathersandspilledmilk.com

Mental P Mama said...

I have some stuff here....

Snooty Primadona said...

Oh, this makes me think of the little girl who played in Waterworld w/ Kevin Costner. All she wanted to do was draw w/ his crayons, LOL! In my opinion, it's always a good way to nudge kiddos...

Busy Bee Suz said...

Isn't she a funny little one? I wonder what her future career will be?? Perhaps something in the government...they love pushing paper around. :)

Hey, where are you guys headed next?