Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Winter Hiking

As Vol Fan and I were hiking yesterday, we were discussing how much we enjoy hiking in the winter.  Many people shy away from the outdoors when it is cold or snowy.  The only thing you need to enjoy the cold is the right gear.  Yes, I know that I don't live in the great white North but the logic is still the same.  Layered clothing with a wicking base layer, waterproof boots and Bingo!  You've got yourself a great day on the trail.

There are many reasons that we enjoy winter hiking.  You almost always have the trail to yourself so it is incredibly quiet.  Just you, the birds, and the occasional whisper of wind.  That quiet is wonderfully mind-clearing.

The second reason that we enjoy winter hiking is that the view is so different than in summer.  The lack of leaves allows you to see so much more of your surroundings - whether it is a scenic view or wildlife spotting.

One of the biggest benefits of winter hiking - no bugs!  :)

[On a side note, we have proof that spring is just around the corner in our neck of the woods.  As we were hiking yesterday, I stepped on a snake.  An itty-bitty, teeny-weeny snake but a snake none the less.  So the winter hibernation is coming to an end!]

5 comments:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

George and I have always preferred the winter for hiking---for the same reasons you gave. We love having the areas to ourselves also!!!

The hardest thing for me --since I've gotten older--is that my hands get so cold and BURN. I even bought some heated gloves --but those suckers do NOT work.. SO---next I'll go to mittens. BUT--it's hard for a photographer to wear gloves for long, as I'm sure you understand.
Hugs,
Betsy

George said...

I completely agree with you. Winter is a great time to hike, and I'm hoping we get some hiking in over the next couple of weeks.

Busy Bee Suz said...

If only I had somewhere to hike and perhaps some winter??? The poor little snake didn't hear you coming??

WordsPoeticallyWorth said...

I'm looking forward to the sunnier climate of Spring.

Thank you. Love love, Andrew. Bye.

Ed & Jeanne said...

Doesn't work much around here though because the forests are evergreens and they don't have leaves to lose so the view is what the view is all year long...

I do like the quiet of snow though.