Thursday, March 20, 2008

Drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway

This morning, we woke to about an inch of snow. I guess that's life in the mountains. The wind was really howling last night and all day - like 50-60 mph gusts! The golf course that Vol Fan is working on got a little more snow than we did. The grounds crew had already removed their snow equipment from their trucks so they closed the course. So, YEA, no work! We lazed around the house all morning. But by lunch all the snow was melted and we decided to get out of the house for a while.

We went for a drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway, making it to the section with the famed Linn Cove Viaduct. And to be quite honest, I was a little disappointed. I had heard all the claims about it being a marvel of construction and had seen lots of pictures. So with all the buildup, I was just expecting more. It was much shorter than I was expecting.

The views along the section of parkway that we drove were really nice but most of the scenic overlooks were not scenic at all - the view was obstructed by tall trees. Maybe I was just in a bad sightseeing mood!

As we were driving, I voiced my cycling hill-descent-and-ride-back-to-the-top idea from a couple of days ago to Vol Fan. He just laughed, in that special way that says he thinks I'm an idiot. He says that is no way to get exercise. I even offered to let him drive really slow and I would hold on to the window of the car and pedal to the top. Again, just that special laugh!

No comments: