Thursday, March 6, 2008

It just doesn't get any better...



Tonight, my niece is spending the night. She is three and like most three-year-olds, she wants her mommy when she is sleepy.

So, as bedtime neared, we went through the usual. "I need to go potty." "I'm thirsty." "I'm hungry." Soon she ran out of "things" and she wanted her mommy. I was working and happened to be on the phone with my boss (who happens to be her daddy!). He convinced her to lay back down and try to go to sleep.

So I, being the sucker that I am, told her that I would lay down with her for a few minutes. So she tossed and turned and wiggled and squirmed. I rubbed her shoulders and stroked her hair and scratched her back. And just when I thought she would never go to sleep, she turned over, looked at me, reached out her hand, grasped my finger tightly, and promptly went to sleep.

As the tears welled in my eyes, I thought "It just doesn't get much better than this..." and it doesn't. I hope I always appreciate those tiny moments of perfection.

No comments: