Friday, January 30, 2009

Helga, My Trainer

I have a trainer. Vol Fan made the arrangements with her over Christmas. Now she wasn't cheap - like $350! And she is doing a very fine job. The only problem with this trainer is she doesn't do rubdowns.

See that pink thing attached to my bike. That's my trainer - I call her Helga.

I have my training area set up in my office. I even have a music stand that holds my reading material and TV remote and cell phone (in the little red bag!).

Yesterday, I reread Ethan Frome (yes, Budget Travel is much more entertaining!). I read this in high school and remember my English teacher being very angry that I didn't feel sorry for Ethan. So I thought that I would reread it, now that I have some years behind me and maybe am a little wiser. I still didn't feel sorry for Ethan. I know I was supposed to but I just didn't. Anyone have any suggestions for reading??

With the assistance of Helga, I can ride for miles. No rain. No cold. No wind. Perfect. With one major exception. Helga is in the same room as this.

Yes, that is our wood stove. Yes, we use it. Yes, it is hot as Hades in my office.

Disclaimer: The Incredible Woody would be more diligent about cleaning around the wood stove if Vol Fan didn't take her shop vac to his work site. Yeah, right! She still wouldn't clean like she should. Cleaning is not The Incredible Woody's strong suit. Please help me, Suz!

15 comments:

Lori said...

I was all ready to see a picture of you with your personal trainer...an actaully person...lol...have you read any of Nicholas Sparks books? He is one of my most favorite writers. Happy riding and reading!

Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

I'm impressed ~ keep up the great progress! Nice setup!

Anonymous said...

Helga appears to be intimidating. I was hoping for Sven....

I purchased Ethan Fromme over Christmas, but haven't read it just yet - the Twilight series got in the way! Over the summer, I re-read Grapes of Wrath and The Scarlet Letter - LOVED both of them. The next one that I'd like to re-read is The Great Gatsby.

Busy Bee Suz said...

What a great set-up....that stove does not look too dirty..I could have it shining in no time. ;)
Really, it is kinda juvenille (but even BHE read it) the twilight series...the first book was SOOO hard to put down. It will kill some bike time.
I also loved the secret life of bees....a great, easy read.
and of course People magazine. What a great time suck. :)

mom x 2 said...

Sweet set-up! It would just collect dust in my house. I hate excercise :)

Hey BHE, I read the Twilight series too.... great read Woody.

Predo said...

Think of it this way. You could clean or you could exercise! I think since you are doing such a Fab job riding your personal trainer (somewhat of a pun intended) you should be given a pardon on the wood stove! You go girl!!!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Well Woody---I'm not a cleaner much either. Guess we both need to hire Suzanne to come and clean for us.. Think she'd do it cheaply???????

I guess that's the best way to ride a bike--especially in the winter. We have WAY too many hills around here. Even walking is hard and makes me 'winded.'

BUT--if you can read or watch TV or chat on your cell, you can just ride and ride and ride ... AND--you don't have to look where you are going...

What's the status on the new home???
Hugs,
Betsy

Boz said...

All you need is a big fan to complete the set up. Adds to the road feel of the ride, plus looks PRO.

Ed & Jeanne said...

I suggest Every Poops. A good read as it's applicable to everyone!!!

Lisa said...

VERY nice trainer...

Leedra said...

You were doing ok until you got to the wood burner. Couldn't ride that bike in the same room. OOPS! I am suppose to be supporting you. You go girl!

Leedra’s Photos For Fun

Leedra’s Greeting Cards

Photography By Leedra

Desert Survivor said...

I love your trainer's name! Looks like you've got a great setup--have you talked Vol Fan into giving you the necessary rubdowns after your workouts?

The Good Eater said...

I want one. (Helga, not the wood stove.)

Anonymous said...

Hahaha! Put a bowl of water on the stove and you can do a sauna and a bike ride in one!

I can't read while exercising. I have a TV set up instead! ;)

(Sometimes!) Serendipitous Girl said...

Oh My. Fireplaces are for sitting cozily by, NOT exercising heavily by! But how cool is that to have one in your office?! I echo everyones comments on the Twilight series--though word of warning, if you read them in public like SSG does on the train in the morning, people will interrupt to tell you how ohmahgah soooo good they are.

The first one took me a while to get into though.