Monday, February 2, 2009

Cleaning Mode

I have admitted that cleaning is not my strong suit. Now I am not one of those people that you see on the news with only little paths leading through the piles of junk in their house. But I am far, FAR from Little Miss Homemaker!

If you visit my home, you will probably see a fine coating of dust on the furniture. Shoes by the door (usually Vol Fan's!! - Mine are usually in a heap, right in from of the closet door!). Some dog hair here and there. And possibly, no, very likely some dust bunnies.

That is all about to change (at least for a little while!) because I am in cleaning mode.

Cleaning mode doesn't hit me often but when it does, you better watch out. I had better love you or need you. If I don't, then you are going to the trash!
That is until I turn sentimental. Eventually I will hit "The Boxes" which contain all my treasures. Lots of which I should get rid of. I'll start off by getting rid of a little bit and then I'll turn sappy and won't get rid of anything. That's the signal that cleaning mode is over!

Things I have discovered while in cleaning mode:
  • The thought of moving all of this crap is really overwhelming.
  • I had bank statements and utility bill stubs from 1990!! All nicely filed but why in the hell did I think I needed this junk?? Are you kidding me?!?
  • Apparently, I have a tendency to be a pack rat. I am working to overcome this affliction.
  • I keep a lot of stuff out of guilt. When I met my birth mother, she wanted to give me everything that was of value to her. At the time, I didn't realize that she was dying of congestive heart failure. But anyway, I have a lot of stuff that was hers, her mother's, and her grandmother's. I really appreciated the gesture but I didn't know these people. So having Grandma's baby doll isn't special to me. But I feel guilty even thinking of getting rid of it. How do I overcome this? I have boxes on top of boxes of stuff that fits this category.
  • I really love Pledge Multi-Surface Cleaning Wipes, Swiffers (wet and dry), and Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. I would marry them if I could.
  • I am basically a slob. Dishes in the sink? No problem. Pile of dirty clothes on the floor? Makes a nice bed for Dixie! Dirty windows? Works as a UV filter.
  • I no longer have "skinny" clothes. I have fat clothes. And fatter clothes. I am on a mission to change this. Well, maybe not a mission exactly. But I really want some skinny clothes! When I met Vol Fan, I wore a size 3!! We won't talk about my size now....
  • It is worth every dime to have a professional come and clean your upholstery and your grout!
PS - I have a friend from high school that has just started a new blog. She's a little nervous about putting herself out there for all to see. Head on over and show her a big bloggy welcome!!
PSS - We offered. They countered. We re-countered. And are still waiting to hear.

19 comments:

(Sometimes!) Serendipitous Girl said...

I'm on a cleaning spree right now too! It's a good way to not ever want to go shopping again because STUFF! I no want to haz it.

As far as the heirlooms go--this might sound harsh, but I'm of the mind if I don't love it or use it, it has a home elsewhere. There are a ton of antique places that would love your treasures and think of the happiness they'll bring someone who finds them. Take nice pictures of all of it that you don't want and put them in a little book--much smaller!

Good luck on the new house!

Unknown said...

The more weight I lose the more hyper I am becoming which also leads to cleaning frenzies. I feel ya and think the same way.

My house is cleaning enough to be healthy and dirty enough to be happy.

Lori said...

Oh dear I get in these moods too(I have been feeling one coming) and you better look out and stay out of my way...I tend to save stuff and years later think "what the hell was I saving this for?" or "where did I get this?" and I also have stuff that has been given to me that really doesn't have any meaning to me but feel like it should so hang onto these things out of guilt or loyalty. I don't want to hurt anyones feelings ya know...lol.

I do not like going through stuff like this with my husband(who's suppose to be watching the children) near by, because then it's just him making comments about the stuff and laughing at me(he says he's laughing "with" me but then I remind him that I'm not laughing)...he just seems to think it's all hilareous. And maybe it is but most of the time...I'm just so overwelmed with what to do with it, while fighting off little people(obviously he's not doing a very good job watching the children...lol) or even big people that seem to want to dig too and then drag it to another part of the house when I'm not looking...ugh...this is why it's probally good I don't get in "these moods" very often. But, sometimes I have just gotten so sick of it, I have thrown away or given away stuff I later regreted...ugh. Good luck with the cleaning! And now that I wrote all this I have no desire to clean!

Hope you hear about the house soon!

Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

Dirt and dust is forever...when I get tired of cleaning I just pick up the big chunks! Dont worry about it~it wont go any where!
So happy about the house! How exciting!
Going to go visit your friend now!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Happy Groundhog Day.. We have a winter wonderland on the plateau this morning. The birds are eating and eating and eating.. I guess we'll have 6 more weeks -at least--of winter!!!! You got snow this morning in Tullahoma.

WELL--since you are Mrs. Cleaner Lady now, come on up here and I'll let you clean my dust and dust bunnies. I keep things 'straight'--but don't vacuum or dust as much as I should. SO--tomorrow will be a great day. I'll be waiting!!!!!

Have fun!!!! Remember--if you haven't used it or worn it in a year, get rid of it!!!!
Hugs,
Betsy

Anonymous said...

We actually made a bit more progress in the garage this weekend.....at least we found a home for almost all of the furniture!!! I have discovered that it's MUCH easier for my daughter to part with sentimental items than it is for me:/ Although, there WERE a few things that she REFUSED to part with!!!

Good luck with the house....

Family Room said...

I only clean when I'm super p.o.'d which is why my house is rarely clean( I guess that's a good thing?) Have fun and we'll keep our fingers crossed on the counter-offering!

Anonymous said...

Gosh I am the same way about assigning sentiment to things...
Ive got BOXES upon boxes of cards Ive gotten over the years. I go to toss them, and then I picture the person who gave it to me sitting sadly by a window thinking "He didnt even think enough to keep it..."

I think it might be something we need help for...

Predo said...

I am so right there with you. I hate to clean, and then out of the blue I get possessed or something. Then I am rampant. It is kind of all or nothing!

I like your friends new blog, great photo! I will keep checking in on her! Thanks!

Lisa said...

I know what you mean about cleaning. When I get in that mood, I just have to go for it no matter what time it is.....

When it gets warmer, come ride with us. Carla Coffey Bloom got a new Hybrid & I know we'll be getting out when it gets warmer. She's not as nutty as I am with getting out in cold weather.

Busy Bee Suz said...

I love cleaning mode. I know, I have issues too.
If you don't want the old stuff...you are under NO obligation to keep it...it is senitmental, just not to YOU. THe good lord will not hold it against you,nor will your birth mother. :)
I love the magic eraser too.
Can't wait to hear when you GET the house!!!!

The Good Eater said...

I keep very little and regret it later. I also have a little bit of an anger problem when I clean so it's best that I do it alone. Last month when my husband was out of town I decided to vacuum under the bed. It had probably been a year since I got down on my hands and knees and looked under there. Yes, there was a couple inches of dust, plus 9 old phone books, and stacks of my husbands old magazines, LLBean catalogs, ham radio catalogs and a bunch of other crap that he doesn't even remember he threw under there.. I cussed and swore all the way out to the trash can. I'm getting a little worked up just thinking about it. Good thing he's at a Ham Radio meeting tonight.

Desert Survivor said...

Good luck with cleaning! I always like to have people over once in awhile--it forces me to clean.

Pleasing Procrasinator said...

You know my thoughts on cleaning.
I just looked around this morning and thought something ought to be done around here. I'll get to it before we go to Florida.
I will say the kitchen and the bathroom is cleaned daily after that I lose the mojo.
Keep us posted on the house:)

Anonymous said...

A few years ago I did a purge of junk. It was difficult because I was like you, I assigned sentiment to things that didn't need it. When I was purging I asked myself a couple things... Have I used or worn it in the last year? Do I LOVE it? If the answer was yes to either of those questions I kept it, otherwise it was gone. It really helped when we moved a few years later.

Anonymous said...

I'm just the same as you - I go on a cleaning and sorting binge, but it only lasts until I hit something sentimental and then my brakes lock. LOL!

I have so much sentimental stuff here that my cleaning binges don't last long. *Sigh*

Unknown said...

Cleaning is one of my least favorite things...

Anonymous said...

as an adoptee I find the dilemma you're in very interesting. did your birth mother not have any other children besides you?

Mine got married and had three more kids after me so I guess I'll have to fight them for the ancestral dolls :-)

Donna Reed In Blue Jeans said...

Don't feel bad. I clean every day (mostly) and there's still a mess! I really don't understand it.

I haven't been posting lately because my mom and brother are coming in a few days. I've been frantically cleaning. We've only been in this house for a YEAR! The crap you can accumulate with four girls! Every time I try to throw something away I here, "My favorite toy! I've been looking for that!"

Good Luck, I'll be crossing my fingers for you and VF to get the house! So excited for you!:)