Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Thoughts

Last Saturday, I went on an epic bike ride. For avid cyclists, it probably wasn't so epic but for me, it was huge.

I rode 40 miles! Actually, 40.5 miles! Best thing? I didn't feel like I was going to die afterward!

While on this ride, I had some thoughts:
  • My ankle really hasn't healed completely. Kicking out of my pedals was really, really painful. As much as I hate to, I think I am going to have to visit the doctor again.
  • The 100-mile ride in October is doable. I was really having my doubts and the fear was building up, threatening to drown me. But I think I can make it. I may not, - no, I will not be fast but I think I can do it. I just have to stay focused.
  • I love spring!!! Sunny and 75 is perfect!!!
  • Sometimes people on green ways really piss me off. The thing is 10 feet wide. So where do they walk? Right in the middle. Or they walk on one side and the dog is on the other with the leash in between. Pick. A. Side!
  • I love endorphins!!! Someone needs to bottle that stuff!!!
  • I need to learn how to eat (for stamina) on a long ride. My timing was off so I ended up starting the ride late morning. This caused my breakfast to burn off around mile 15, leaving me to feel like I was DYING. I honestly felt like I could not turn the crank even one more time. I was able to find a spot to rest, have a drink, and eat my Special K Protein Bar. That revived me enough to continue on. At about mile 27, I stopped for lunch. After lunch, I felt like a million bucks - like I could pedal forever.
  • When you stop for lunch at mile 27, you can scarf down a hamburger like there is no tomorrow!!
  • I am doing this ride (the Livestrong Challenge in Austin, TX!) to honor the memory of my Mom. So while I ride, I tend to think about her. I wonder if we would have a close relationship. So many mothers and daughters have terrible relationships and I wonder if we would be in that category. I like to think not.
  • I wish I knew the roads better - which ones have little traffic, which ones have no dogs to chase you while hammering up a hill, etc. Road riding is SO much better than green way riding unless you are riding with kids. But green way riding is SO much better than being a greasy spot in the middle of a busy highway!

14 comments:

Lisa said...

You thinking of "Leaves of Lincoln"? I pray that by then I can do it but I'm not banking on it at this point.

It is weird how we get so hungry on a ride. The pool does it to me too. I come out of there starving to death!

Unknown said...

Way to go girl! That is awesome!!!! I would be tired after one mile...maybe two.

I am really proud of your accomplishment and the reason why you are doing this. I am sure your Mom is proud as well.

Unknown said...

Wow! I'm IMPRESSED!
And on a painful ankle!
I would be 'lucky' to make it down to mailboxes, and I know I could NOT make it back!

I'm glad you had a Beautiful Day!

Lori said...

That is great! I just know that your going to be able to do this ride in October with no problems. I am proud of you my friend, just as your mom would be!

Busy Bee Suz said...

Very impressed woody...I have a hard time driving for 40 miles. ;0
I think you and your Mom would get along very well....My Mom and I have a fabulous relationship.

very funny: PICK A SIDE.
keep up the good work.

Predo said...

For avid cyclists you don't think 40.5 miles is epic? Are you kidding? That is a hell of a ride! Way to go! Like Strawberry Shortcake would say "That is berry Good!"

Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

I am so proud! 40 miles is awesome!BTW I can scarf down a hambuger like there is no tomorrow...anytime!

Unknown said...

Good for you! I know you can do it, so does your mom. Don't ya know she's smiling a big smile, telling all the other angels.."that's my girl!".

I can't wait to cheer you on in Austin. Yes, I will be there with JJ.

Anonymous said...

You are an amazing woman:) You. Can. Do. It.

Anonymous said...

Way to go Woody!! I don't think I could last 4 miles, forget about 40! Keep up the good work.

Keeper Of All Things said...

Good for you....last bike I rode had a basket on the front and pretty sparkly pom poms on the handels.............

Yea its been awhile

(Sometimes!) Serendipitous Girl said...

See, I tend to like to stop for a burger around Mile 0.1.

I have a feeling you and your mom would have an amazing relationship. And I also have a feeling she comes right along with you on your rides.

Desert Survivor said...

Good job! 40 miles is a great accomplishment! And you are well on your way to 100. That 100 won't seem nearly so hard with all the training you're putting in, plus the excitement of all the riders around you during the ride will make it go by faster than you'd think.

A big pasta dinner the night before a big ride is supposed to help. Something about those carbs in pasta last longer and give you more endurance.

T said...

There is a surprise for you over on my blog today!

Love you gal! Thank you for EVERYTHING!