Monday, March 23, 2009

Tribute to High Point

My time in the Triad area of North Carolina is coming to a close.

I have really enjoyed exploring a new area. Thanks, Travel Girl, for taking me to Seagrove to shop for pottery!

Most of my touring has been in High Point. So I post this as a tribute to High Point - hometown of jazz legend, John Coltrane.

This is my favorite song by John Coltrane. It is called In A Sentimental Mood.

When I listen to this song, there is a vision in my head.

I am transported to a dimly-lit jazz club. The lights cast a blue hue onto the dance floor.

It is almost closing time. You can hear the clink of glasses as the workers clean up but the band plays on.

On the dance floor is a beautiful woman in a flowing black dress, her shoes lying carelessly to the side. She is in the arms of a handsome man in a suit with his tie and top button loosened - jacket hanging on a chair near the dance floor.

They are the only couple on the dance floor. Their movements barely perceptible. They are so caught up in the moment, so caught up in each other. Staring into each others eyes - that is their world.....

Close your eyes and listen. Where does the music take you?




In a Sentimental Mood - John Coltrane

11 comments:

Mental P Mama said...

Now i want a nice martini.

Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

I'm not telling.

Unknown said...

you guys don't get naked do you? Where are you headed next? Or are you headed back to TN?

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Beautiful, romantic song, Woody....

Are you coming back to TN--or headed somewhere else on a new job???

Hugs,
Betsy

Busy Bee Suz said...

I was sipping a cosmo and watching them dance...wondering how long they have been in love.

Family Room said...

I'm trying REAL HARD to picture something but all I can hear is diva pounding on the piano and my hubby shooting zombies on the video game....I'm just going to have to take everybody's word for it, so I'm naked drinking a cosmo with a hot guy.....sounds great!!!

Anonymous said...

Did somebody say "...hot guy who can dance..."? You have my attention...:)

Desert Survivor said...

I love jazz! Great song.

The Good Eater said...

It certainly transports you to another place and another time. Did you ever find his statue? The visitor's center said it is on the corner of Hamilton and Commerce. I think that's one street down from the Depot.

Lori said...

Beautiful. Very calming and relaxing. Dancing under the stars with my husband.

Unknown said...

Sitting on the beach of the bay and sipping on a cold corona in twilight...

It has been wonderful seeing High Point through your eyes!!! I look forward to the next great adventure.