Friday, May 1, 2009

Backroads & Weddings

I love driving on back roads. Two lanes. With no particular route in mind. No destination. No timeline. Roaming.

You never know what you will stumble across when you roam.

During my jaunt on the back roads of NE Georgia, I stumbled across some beauties. Both made me want to get married there. Never mind the fact that I am already married. I can picture a perfect wedding at each. Albeit much different weddings but perfect nonetheless.

First I stumbled across The Tate House. In the early 1800s, the Tate family began mining marble on their property. Certain veins contained the rare 'Etowah' marble. As they mined, they began setting aside matching pieces of the beautiful pink marble. Those pieces are what faces the mansion. Thus The Pink Mansion was born.

The last of the family left the house in 1955 and it remained unoccupied for more than 20 years, falling into a state of disrepair. A lady from Arizona discovered it and began restoration. Can you picture this wedding?

I was going to apologize for the quality of the picture. I literally held the camera in the general direction of the house and clicked the shutter button as I drove. But after looking at the photo, I decided I really liked the reflection in my car's mirror!

Next I stumbled across this perfect country church. What about this wedding?

16 comments:

Donna Reed In Blue Jeans said...

My color's are Bashful and Blush.

Unknown said...

My colors will be oyster and mauve...and of course, you will be there!!!!

Beautiful!!!!

Unknown said...

Totally a Gone With the Wind themed wedding for that top one!

Busy Bee Suz said...

I love the top photo also.
I think if I had to chose, I would take the quaint chappel.
I would wear a soft, casual white sundress and George (cloony) would have on a tan linen suit.
Just kidding. You know better than that.
He would not be wearing a jacket.
:)
I seriously made myself laugh with that.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Oh Woody, Suzanne is just too funny, isn't she????

Forget about a wedding in that beautiful home. We could change the name to the Adams House, and George and I would live in it. Of course, we'd have to have a full staff of employees to keep it gorgeous!!!! We'd love to offer weddings there for a STIFF price!!!! ha

That little church is so cute. I love little country churchs.

Have a wonderful day and week. I'll post one more time in the morning--but then I'll be gone for about 9 days.

Hugs,
Betsy

Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

I like those shots. How come I dont have time to drive anywhere other than work??
I need to make some changes.
Look out.

Caution/Lisa said...

I would approve either location - as long as I am on the guest list.

T said...

I love the checkerboard pattern on the mansion!

I'd hold the reception at the mansion......any other nuptials will be held on a sandy shore with just us and kids!

Leedra said...

You could be the 'great wedding location' scout master!

Leedra’s Photos For FunLeedra’s Greeting CardsPhotography By Leedra

Mental P Mama said...

OMG! My stepfather was obsessed with that pink house. We had to drive by every year. Ahhh. The memories.

Unknown said...

Both BEAUTIFUL...wedding at one and reception at the other?!
I am So ENVIOUS of the south and the Historic Mansions and such!
I take a trip back in time (in my mind) and LUV every minute of it! :)

Lori said...

Have I told you how much I love your adventurous life? I love your side/back road trips and all the great pictures you get. I love reading your thoughts and dreams about all these things. So fun.

Unknown said...

I just spent three hours on a two lane back road coming home from Austin. I did this to bypass traffic, and it should have taken me one hour!

Anonymous said...

love that house! how on earth does anyone leave a place like that empty??

Have commercial areas grownup around it? (whats that red roofed thing on the side?)

imom said...

I was also wondering how someone could leave that house empty for years! It's so beautiful.

big hair envy said...

You can't beat country roads, and a good wedding!!! Love both of those locations;)