Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Bonnaroo 2009, Day 1, Music Review

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed herein are my own. So don't get your toes stepped on if I dis your favorite band. And don't go expecting fancy music terms. It's just plain old me. I don't know how to describe every genre. If you want a review with real music terms and the ear of an expert, go to Spin or Rolling Stone.

My Thursday Line-Up:
  • Jedd Hughes - This was our first show of the day and we really enjoyed it. He could make his guitar absolutely scream! He played a slow song called The Wreckage that I thoroughly enjoyed.
  • Roger Alan Wade - His main claim to fame is that his cousin is Johnny Knoxville. You know from Jackass. Johnny apparently set him up with a recording studio to get him on his way. His music is rough, rowdy honky-tonk. I don't think he will be winning a Grammy any time soon but he is brilliant. Any one that can pen a song called "I'd Like to Shoot You in the Ass with a BB Gun" is an absolute genius! He was a rollicking good time.
  • Charlie Allen - He was country, through and through. But only mediocre country. With a sound just like everyone else, etc. But there was one exception - he wrote the Bonnaroo song. And that was why we were there. And the fact that no one else was playing. But the Bonnaroo song is awesome.
  • The Black Lillies - I don't really know how to classify this band. Maybe bluegrass rock?? Some songs were definitely bluegrass and then others were southern rock. But they were really good! I really enjoyed a song called There's Only One.
  • Then we headed back to That Tent for Delta Spirit. Only to be sadly disappointed - they were a no show!! So we took the opportunity to grab a bite to eat and visit the portajohns!
  • Portugal. The Man. - He didn't really ring any body's bell so we left.
  • And headed to This Tent to listen to Hockey. They didn't ring our bell either. So we left.
  • Same thing when we stopped by Troo Music Lounge to listen to Those Darlins.
  • So we were left with the hip-hop band, The Knux. I'm not really a fan of hip-hop but they were a lot of fun. What else can you expect when the lead guy goes by the name, Krispy Kreme?!? Songs like Bang! Bang! Bang! (and I really think that is all they said) to Fresh Cappuccino with a Mocha Twist. They were a lot of fun - even had The Incredibly Woody shakin' her moneymaker!
  • This was the point that everyone in the group but me ran for the relative safety of camp. I stayed and listened to Tangiers Blues Band. And I was rewarded for my bravery by an excellent show. I do love the blues!!

And then I ran from the storm too!

9 comments:

T said...

I've never heard of any of them - but you did a great job reporting!

Shakin your moneymaker, huh??? Ummm....pictures?

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of any of them either. The important thing is that you found music you liked!

Is your moneymaker dizzy from all that shaking?

Snooty Primadona said...

I love the blues too & it usually involves bands no one has ever heard of. Who cares, if they can really play the blues & sing, right? It all just sounds like such a fun, fun time!

Unknown said...

I don't know any of those bands, but then I'm pretty sure you're not surprised!

I do know that if someone could make their guitar scream, I'd be shaking my money maker too.

Busy Bee Suz said...

Lots of different music going on there....that is good, cause we all have different taste. Glad you are having fun and can walk away if it does not suit you. :)

Unknown said...

I think your reviews are great. I would rather have a normal person report on music than one who clouds the review up with mundane crap.

Great fun...and thanks for fighting the storm.

Big Hair Envy said...

You are just like I am, I'll listen to anything that makes me shake my moneymaker!! Bwahahaha!!!

Too bad Vol.Fan wasn't there to snap a photo or two...

The Good Eater said...

Krispy Kreme sounds familiar.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Woody, I love hearing all about Bonnaroo. I have heard about it--and how BIG it is (and growing every year). I've never heard of many of the singers or groups--but I'm an OLD woman!!!! ha

Glad you got a little shade where you tent was --even if it were far away. Sounds like they have the entire event well-organized.

Thanks for sharing.
Hugs,
Betsy