Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Bonnaroo, Day 4 and Music Review

I should have completed this review shortly after the event because now some of my enthusiasm has faded:( Sorry!!

Sunday at Bonnaroo is usually a laid-back day for me. It is also usually a day that I thoroughly enjoy the music. And the first two acts of the day fit perfectly with my historical record.

First up was Mike Farris and the Roseland Rhythm Revue. They had a great blend of rock, soul, and gospel. His cover of Sam Cooke's "A Change is Gonna Come" was fantastic. His trio of backup singers were a perfect counter to his throaty voice.

Next was Citizen Cope. In a word - amazing. His bluesy music is right up my alley. He opened with Hurricane Waters - which I love!! I definitely need more Citizen Cope on my iPod.
The next show was not the one that I would have chosen but I fell in with the crowd. So we headed to the main stage to hear Erykah Badu. And in a word - sucked!!

45 minutes after her show was slated to start, her band came on stage. And started what we thought was her introduction. But apparently, she needed to smoke or shoot or whatever a little more whatever and still didn't show. But the band played on. Which would have been fine if they had played. But the drummer laid out a pretty simple beat and a guy on a flute played the same riff over and over and over and over and over. Seriously, we started counting how many times he played the riff and we stopped when we reached 120. And packed up to head to greener pastures.

As we were packing, she came on stage. Did she start her performance even though she was almost an hour late? Of course not. So we left.

We hit the last song or 2 of Robert Earl Keen. His shows are always a lot of fun!!

Next up was a classic - Merle Haggard! His sound people didn't have his volume up enough so we had a hard time hearing him over the music. But it is always good to see a classic.

Next, I once again fell in to peer pressure and headed to see Snoop Dogg. Rap just isn't my bag. Now I'm not a prude by any means but it is tiresome for every other word to be F%&K. With that taken into account, I will give him this - he is quite an entertainer and definitely knows how to build a rapport with his crowd.

Phish had another show but we are old and we were done! Home was calling - hot showers, shaved legs, air conditioning, and bed!!

10 comments:

Mental P Mama said...

You are such a trooper to stay that long! Love that last shot;)

Anonymous said...

I was just listening to Citizen Cope on my computer yesterday! He has a great voice, doesn't he? I'v enever seen any of the performers that you listed live...but I guess I definitely WON'T be seeing Badu! LOL

Clippy Mat said...

Love that Sam Cooke classic. If anyone can sing that and do it justice they are a true artist in my book. Great photos. :-)

Busy Bee Suz said...

Are those your flip flops?
Glad you had fun...I am amazed that some performers can't seem to perform when they are asked to.

Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

I want to go next time! Can I camp with you??

Unknown said...

wow...sounds wonderful!
going to check out some of the musicans to hear them!! THANKS!!

imom said...

I have loved all of these Bonnaroo posts! Very entertaining. I don't like rap either, but I wouldn't mind seeing Snoop Dog perform!

mom x 2 said...

Sounds like you had a blast! Love the mud pic :)

Unknown said...

Whoops, someone lost their flip flop. Well, since I am now addicted to camping, we may have to make plans on meeting you there for the next Bonaroo!!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Sounds like you heard some great music, Woody. I would love that Sam Cooke classic. Forget about Snoop Dogg for me also--but Merle Haggard would be fun to hear and see.

Glad you had a great time!!!!
Hugs,
Betsy