Tuesday, January 12, 2010

A Little Bit of Genealogy

A long time ago (like in 1871), John Swanson and Carrie Anderson Swanson immigrated to America from Sweden.  They settled in Chautauqua County, New York and proceeded to make a life as dairy farmers. 
John P & Carrie Anderson Swanson
The dairy farm is still in the family – operated by my Dad’s cousin.
One of their seven children was John Louis Swanson.
John Louis Swanson
He married Selma Carlson (whose parents had also immigrated from Sweden).
Selma Carlson Swanson
One of their children was Florence Mae Swanson.  I love this picture of my Grandma.  The Grandma that I knew was a very strict, uptight lady, not this footloose flapper:)
Florence Swanson Nutt
She married Walter Schroeder Nutt.  His mother had immigrated from Germany at age 7 with her parents and siblings.
Walter & dad
Their oldest child was this handsome guy – my Dad.
Dad senior picture
I love family history and old photographs.  Do you have old family photographs?

9 comments:

Linda said...

What a great post! I have lots of old pictures...from both my hubs and my family. It is so neat to see the 'old' ones when they were young.

We are expecting another grandchild this year, and I just think that he or she will only know me as an OLD grandma. Sigh!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Well Woody--You know how much I enjoy Family History. I also love reading other's history... SO --you have German and Swedish in you!!!!!! That's neat!

Love that photo of your Dad. What a cutie.

Thanks for sharing.
Hugs,
Betsy

Busy Bee Suz said...

This is so great!!! I have a few here and there...but not as much of the 'history' as I would like to have.

Tammy said...

I have some great old family photos that I need to get into albums! Thanks for sharing yours!

Mental P Mama said...

I love these! How great you have them in your hands! Ours are scattered here and there....but I do have some amazing letters my grandparents wrote to each other while he was a POW in WWII! shhh. don't tell my brothers!

Unknown said...

This is a GREAT post! It is really interesting to see how many peoples families immigrated to the US...mine are from Germany back in the 1800's
Imagine what it was like back then...

Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

I really like these pictures Woody. Now I am going to go drag mine out. Florence Mae was a beauty!
<><

Unknown said...

What a great post. I love old family photos and have several.

Snooty Primadona said...

I adore old family pictures, but frankly, my family didn't look near as interesting as yours. Mine all have *prune faces* but that's probably from living in OK during the *dust bowl* days. Guess I'd be kinda sour too.

Your Dad looked like the all-time great guy/boy next door.