Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Natural Bridge

Last Sunday afternoon, Vol Fan and I told the girls we were going on a hike.  Immediately, AB said that she did not want to go on a hike.  I asked if she knew what a hike was.  No, but she was sure she didn't want to go.  I told her that we were going anyway.  And promised cookies post hike.  So she was persuaded.
We drove to Sewanee, Tennessee to the Natural Bridge.  It is a bridge formation carved over time from the sandstone of the area.  The walk from the parking area is just a few hundred feet.  And then to do more exploring, you must cross the bridge.  If you have read this blog very long, you know that I don't have a fear of heights.  However, I do have a healthy fear of edges.  It is a very logical fear because... well, because I am a tripper.  Sometimes I trip over thin air.  See, very logical.
The bridge is about 18 inches wide.  Well maybe I exaggerate.  Possibly it is about 6' wide but to me it feels like 18 inches.  Having someone hold my hand just makes it worse because then if I trip, I will take them over the edge with me.  So I usually cross on my hands and knees.  I have really been working to overcome this fear for the last few years.  And I didn't want to look like a chicken in front of the girls. 
Pita held tightly onto Vol Fan's hand.  He carried AB.  And across they went.
And then they had recrossed.  On their own.  [with Vol Fan very very near!]
And they crossed again.
Finally I had to go.  And I walked.  Very slowly and deliberately.  But I walked!
2012-3-1 054
More of our adventure tomorrow...

7 comments:

Mental P Mama said...

I LOVE Sewanee! Such fun.

snghere said...

Cool! Another place to put on our "list of things to do when we get bored when we go Tennessee" list! I've never heard of this one, so this is extra cool!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

What a neat place. We have never seen 'that' Natural Bridge. (Seems like there's one in every state!!!)

I'm like you ---not afraid of heights but don't like those narrow paths... When we were in Arkansas, we hiked along the RIM Trail --and it was narrow with lots of loose rocks. I was so afraid of falling...

Hugs,
Betsy

Busy Bee Suz said...

I never knew you were a tripper!!!! I'm a tipper too! and I'm scared of heights, so together we would be a party. :)
Of course, you could have persuaded me with cookies as well!

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

How fun! Great pic - at first I thought you were talking about Natural Bridge, Virginia, which is only an hour from us.

BTW - we're coming over to play in your attic w/ all the costumes! ;-)

George said...

It sounds as if AB decided hikes are pretty neat after all, even without a cookie. We haven't been to the Natural Bridge in Sewanee; we'll need to make that trip one of these days.

Snooty Primadona said...

OMG! I so want to go there. However, I am also a *tripper over thin air*. I'm sure I'd get dizzy until I thought about the cookie reward.

;-)