Monday, March 31, 2008

Dreaming of a long empty road

I have had road trip fever of late. (Not even our quick run (7 hours each way - done in one day) to Hampton, VA to load the last of the tools from that job could quench my thirst!) I am dreaming of a long, empty two-lane road with seeming endless skies spreading overhead.

I absolutely love road trips! So I have been doing a lot of surfing lately - looking at blooming wildflowers in Death Valley, admiring the red rocks of Moab, planning hikes into the Grand Canyon, etc. I have some great trips planned - routes mapped, hotels/campgrounds/restaurants scouted, activities planned. I could probably get pretty close as to how much each would cost! (Maybe I have too much time on my hands!) Oh, how I envy those lucky people that I see buzzing down the road in their RVs! There are so many things that I want to see and do - the list seems endless.

I absolutely love maps. Anytime I am riding in a car, I usually spend the majority of that time pouring over the road atlas. I find places with fun names - visiting places like that just for the humor is just the type of person I am, so now you know! A visit to Hell, Michigan would be a classic! I love to plan routes from place to place wondering what I would discover along the way.

For about 4 years now, my dream road trip has been Utah. I have such a great itinerary planned that I am almost afraid to take the trip. I have dreamed and planned for so long now - I wonder if it will live up to my expectations. But I'm willing to take that gamble. Now, I just have to figure out a way to get some time off from work!

No comments: