Thursday, January 22, 2009

A Visit with an Old Friend

I thought I would take advantage of the sunshine yesterday and get out for a while. I decided to visit with an old friend. I haven't visited this particular friend in a long, long time.

I remember as a kid going on a field trip to visit this friend's house. And sledding with him as a teen. But mostly I remember having a little bit of Sun-Drop with him.

My friend? George Dickel. Yes, he is from my home town.

I really do enjoy this place and these photographs show why. It is so peaceful and quiet there. It is a wonderful setting for an afternoon picnic. Too bad, I didn't have time to take the distillery tour.



As a teen when we would get the occasional snow, you would hear the call "Dickel Hill!" and you knew that everyone was meeting there to sled. Of course, we were trespassing and would eventually be told to leave.

But while we were there, it was a fantastic hill - long with a bump in the middle that would send you airborne. There was one small problem. See the fence. Yeah, if you didn't jump off in time, that was waiting for you at the bottom.

Now that I think back, maybe we should have spent a little less time drinking and a little more time scouting a better hill.

17 comments:

Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

What a beautiful place! Done that a few times myself...slide down big hills in the snow and nipped at George once or twice! Can I go next time?

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Cute post, Woody... Oh what could-a been!!!!!! BUT--wouldn't you do the same thing if you had it to do over again??? That was the perfect hill--with the 'jumping off' challenge!!!

Love that little waterfall!!!!
Hugs,
Betsy

Unknown said...

Cool memories! Old friends are the best friends. And that hill with the bump is the best.

Anonymous said...

Such a beautiful spot! I love the porch with the chairs, and that stream is quite delightful - I bet it sounds wonderful, too.

But isn't it traditional to hit a fence when tobogganing? I rather thought it was. LOL!

Anonymous said...

Such a pretty place and wonderful pictures!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful place! You are so lucky to be able to visit - and reminisce:)

The hills we used for sledding were all pastures. Unfortunately, the fences were not wooden. They were made of barbed wire:/

Cool Breeze said...

Boy, I have great memories of drinking, I mean sleigh riding along with drinking.

One time we took a canoe down a snow covered hill ... bad idea.

I Am Woody said...

Another bad idea - we rode down on a car hood once. And only once!

Busy Bee Suz said...

What great pictures....looks like a nice old friend...well, except for those darn HARD as heck fences.
Great memories for you...I can tell.
Suz

Unknown said...

LOL! On a Car Hood?! I would'nt mind taking chances like that even now! SOUNDs like fun! Except I would probably only make it down once...by then, I'd be tuckered out.
BEAUTIFUL Place...Love the waterfall and stream! I want that in my back yard!!

(Sometimes!) Serendipitous Girl said...

So beautiful! I loooooove rocking chairs. Something about drinking lemon drops, er LEMONADE and watching the sun go down ... and I almost crawled through the screen to get my hands on one of those smooshy puppies from yesterday! TOO PRECIOUS!

Desert Survivor said...

Oh, how fun! There's nothing like a sledding hill with a good challenge. Ours had a creek at the bottom of it. I learned the hard way that the sled didn't float with me sitting on top of it.

Unknown said...

That hill looks like too much fun! Airborne? That is the coolest! We haven't had any good sledding snow yet this year. We need some!

Unknown said...

What a great place! I want to go and slide down that hill with lots of snow.

We use to go to Mt Trashmore and sled before they made it illegal and ruined all our fun...such joy killers!!

Love ya,

Marlene

Snooty Primadona said...

Gorgeous pictures! It looks like someplace I'd like to visit. I'd love to take a cross-country roadtrip and see all the places I've always wanted to see.

Lori said...

I love sledding and that hill looks like way too much fun! It looks and sounds like a blast...wish I could have been there!

Candice said...

What a beautiful area! I would have loved to sled down the hill.. minus the fence of course. ;)